If you have any feedback on how we can make our new website better please do contact us. We would like to hear from you.
HISTORY OF THE ORIGIN OF THE Y.A.D.
In 1938, Charles E. Boyd and Samuel D. Shultz started the ball rolling by saying "The Yorkers should have a social club" They remarked that there were social clubs only big cities, and now was the time to organize a club in York. In the Spring of 1928, they gathered about 20 deaf people in the Parish House of St. John Episcopal Church to set up dates for future regular meetings and socials. Charles Boyd, Acting Chairman and Samuel Shultz, Acting Sec. Tres. kept developing the interests of the deafies until the club became a reality on January 8, 1939.
The first official meeting was held in our rented place, the 3rd floor of 32 N. George St, above a store on the 1st floor and a dentist's office on the 2nd floor. After purchasing some furniture and equipments worth of $500, the balance of 39 cents was put into our treasury with a debt of $19.00 still to be paid. At socials, we made enough money to begin paying this debt: we paid 50 weekly at sears for a ping pong table. Thanks to the foresight of the above-mentioned persons! The Y.A.D. has grown continuously since its inception and has become a well-established organization with over 252 members (47 active members & 205 social members)
The objects of the Association are keep alive a loyalty for the Y.A.D. and keep good health, habits and characters in a brotherhood and sisterhood of friendliness. We encouraged good fellowship for for the purpose of helping one another to make each life better and the group's life as a whole better.
This year marks the 70th year of banquets since the first annual banquet in 1939. The sincere desire of the Y.A.D. is to reach its 100th milestone and beyond! With all of the years ahead, the burden of responsibility will pass to the younger generation. As others before us said to us, we now plead to this new generation "CARRY ON". So, welcome and enjoy today, but also hope that tomorrow will see our Youth carry the Y.A.D. banner to have a place for future deaf people yet unborn.
By the CO-Founders of the Y.A.D.
January 8, 1939 to August 4, 1947
32 N. George Street (3rd Floor)
August 7, 1947 to March 1, 1948 (No Picture Available)
Lincoln Highway East - Formerly Bury's Restaurant
March 11, 1948 to May 7, 1948
No Club Room
May 7, 1948 to December 8, 1951 (No Picture Available)
114 S. George St. (2nd Floor)
December 8, 1951 to February 28, 1962
45 N. Sherman Street (1st Floor)
March 1, 1962 - September 5, 2010 (Old Interior Design)